Tuesday, November 26, 2013



Sanggai - Iban love song -  of a man telling his lady their love will never be fulfilled
            Sanggai is used to offer drink to visitors and to each other during merrymaking. It is used to praise, to motivate and to honour a person. Below is the last verse of  the Sanggai of a man whose eyes have met those of a lady but he says that they will never be fated to be together:

Aih, dia deh aku Kumang Jawai ti bejalai,
Nengah tembawai udu panjai madang lensat,
Aku meda sibau pemadu mansau, udu pengelebat,
Ka aku niki wai menyadi,
Tulang aku lemi enda alah pakap,
Ka aku nyarau iya Kumang Kumbau,
Isau aku lembau enda uluh mantap;
Ka aku nyulok iya Kumang Demok,
Laban penyuluk enda ulih datai sipat;
Tang bisi buah Kumang beremah,
Labuh ka tanah ka arung lengkap,
Ka aku pakai, nyawa aku enggai,
Enda ulih nyuap,
Sayau meh tua  Kumang Jinap,
Sama kalat-kalat, ninga dek Kumang,
Ngema mengkalang, aih puang.

(I am like a sojourner,  Godess  of Beauty, Jawai,
Passing orchards of lensat trees bearing fruits,
I want to climb the fruits, dear sister,
My bones are weak, I cannot embrace the trunks,
I dearly wish to lop the branches,
My  sword  was lethargic and it could not be cut,
I want to use a long  stick ,
But it  cannot reach the fruits,
But,  Godess Beremah, some fruits have fallen to the valley,
I want to eat  them but  I have no appetite,
My mouth refuses to open,
What a pity our fate is thus,  Godess Jinap,
Both wandering aimlessly, Godess,
Bringing  on our backs mengkalang,  the  empty baskets.

2 comments:

  1. Nama bida antara sanggai ngau dungai? Nama sanggai ngau dungai tu endang leka main Iban balau, Dau ngau Undup?

    ReplyDelete